Part of the fun of this recipe is the ingredient list. The tomato soup is such an unexpected ingredient but it makes a lovely spice cake.
- 1 can condensed tomato soup
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2/3 tsp ground cloves
- 1-1/2 cups self-rising flour sifted
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 8 oz cream cheese room temperature
- 1/4 cup butter room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- candied nuts optional
- Set the butter and egg out and let them come to room temperature. Set the oven to 325 degrees.
- Combine the tomato soup and baking soda in a bowl and let it stand. Use a deep bowl as the mixture will rise.
- Cream the butter, sugar, and spices in bowl. Add the egg and mix for 30 seconds. Mix in the tomato soup and soda mixture. It will look like a science experiment but don’t worry. This is all just part of the fun.
- Mix the flour and baking powder together, and then beat into the mixture until just combined.
- Pour evenly into cupcake papers. Bake for 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool.
- Once the cupcakes have cooled to room temperature, beat together the cream cheese and butter until well combined.
- Add the powdered sugar and then the vanilla. Mix until well incorporated.
- Pipe or spread the frosting onto cupcakes. Garnish with candied nuts and enjoy.