True vegetarian comfort food! This comes from my friend Cindy, who recommended tripling the chiles in the original recipe. This way you get some in every bite! (The recipe below does reflect the extra chiles! You can always dial back on them if you don’t like the heat.)
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1½ cups cornmeal
- 1 cup chopped roasted green chiles
- 1 cup shredded jalapeno jack cheese
- 1 cup shredded smoked gouda
- ½ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- ½ cup half and half
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a saucepan, heat 2 cups stock until boiling. In a mixing bowl, combine the remaining 2 cups of broth and the cornmeal, stirring until smooth. Pour the cornmeal mixture into the boiling broth and stir until combined. Cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes or until the polenta clings to the side of the pan.
- Lightly grease a shallow 6-cup casserole dish. Pour half of the polenta into the casserole dish and smooth out with a spatula. Sprinkle half the shredded cheese and half the green chiles over the mixture. Pour half and half over the mixture. Spoon the remaining polenta over the top of the prepared casserole. Sprinkle the rest of the green chiles and shredded cheese over the top.
- Bake until casserole is bubbly, about 25 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.