This is a decadent take on a classic mac and cheese. I like to use cavatappi (corkscrew) pasta but feel free to use classic mac if you’d like. I’ve also subbed other smoked cheeses for the topping with good results.
Southern-Style Mac & Cheese
- 3 cups uncooked cavatappi uncooked
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1-1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup smoked cheddar cheese shredded
- 6 oz Velveeta shredded
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 cup Colby-Monterey Jack shredded
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- smoked paprika to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 9×9 baking dish and set aside.
- Following notes on box, cook your pasta until just al dente. Do not overcook. Drain and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine milk, heavy cream, and all cheeses except the smoked cheddar. Stir to combine. Season with salt, pepper, and smoked paprika to taste. Feel free to add any other seasonings you’d like at this point. (I sometimes use Penzey’s Smoky 4/S Special Seasoned Sea Salt in place of the salt & smoked paprika here.)
- Once happy with the taste, mix the eggs into the cheese-milk mixture and stir until well combined.
- Add the cooked pasta to the baking dish. Pour the cheese-milk mixture over the macaroni. Use a spoon or other utensil to make sure the cheese is well-distributed.
- Top with smoked cheddar cheese.
- Place in oven and bake for 35-40 minutes. Try not to overbake it. It will be a bit jiggly when it comes out of the oven but will firm up as it cools.
- Let cool until fully set, around 10 minutes, then enjoy!