If you’re not familiar with Indian food, Butter Chicken is an excellent entrée to start. Tasty and comforting, it is a regular in my rotation.
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup yellow onion chopped
- 1 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 3 tbsp ginger grated
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- 6 oz tomato paste
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt
- 3 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 tsp lime zest
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro for garnish, optional
- In medium skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onions to skillet, and cook until softened, about 3 minutes. Reduce heat to medium, add garlic and ginger, and cook another 2 minutes. Add garam masala, tomato paste and salt; cook and stir 2 minutes.
- Place chicken pieces in a slow cooker, then add tomato paste mixture, lime zest and juice, coconut milk and chicken stock. Stir everything together, cover and cook on low heat setting for 4 1/2 to 5 hours, until the chicken is cooked through. (You may let it cook up to 7 hours if necessary, but the chicken may be very soft and shred.) Garnish with cilantro and serve with cauliflower or jasmine rice.