This is a minor riff off of Deb Perelman’s Smitten Kitchen recipe. Here, I’ve reduced the amount of Krispies. I find the Krispies to mallows ratio to be a bit more gratifying!
- 1/2 cup butter
- 10 oz mini marshmallows
- 5 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 1/4 tsp coarse salt
- Generously butter an 8-by-8-by-2-inch cake pan. Set aside.
- Melt the butter in a large pot over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, until it browns. The butter will melt, then foam, then turn clear golden with brown bits and start to smell nutty. Watch carefully as the butter can go from delightfully brown to burnt in a flash.
- Turn off the heat as soon as the bits in the butter are a deep brown color. Immediately add the marshmallows and stir until smooth. If the residual heat isn’t enough to melt the mallows, return to a low heat until the mixture is completely smooth.
- Remove the pot from the heat and pour in the cereal and salt. Mix well, then quickly scrape the mixture into the prepared pan. Flatten the mix evenly with a spatula or clean damp hands, pressing into the edges and corners.
- Let cool to room temperature and cut into squares to serve. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.