This salad is in my regular rotation. It is equally good with sweet potatoes instead of the squash. It makes an impressive starter when entertaining.
- 1 package Trader Joe’s Peeled & Cubed Butternut Squash about 2 lbs
- 1 bag Trader Joe’s Kale
- ¼ cup almonds Roughly chopped, if you want. I left them whole.
- ¼ cup shaved or grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 lemon
- Trader Joe’s Greek Kalamata Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Granulated garlic
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Toss the butternut squash with just enough olive oil to coat the pieces. Season the squash with enough garlic, salt and pepper to suit your tastes.
- Spread out the squash on a baking sheet and put in the oven to bake until nicely browned, 30 to 40 minutes. Give them a stir every 10 minutes or so.
- Put the almonds on another baking sheet and put in the oven with the squash. Toast them in the oven for 5-10 minutes, or until browned a bit and they smell nutty. Give them a shake once or twice. Set aside and let them cool.
- While the squash is baking, put the kale in a large bowl. If it is more mature or fiberous, give it a vigorous massage with a bit of salt and a drizzle of olive oil. This will help break down the fiber and will make the kale taste a little sweeter.
- Squeeze as much lemon and add as much additional olive oil as you’d like over the kale. Give it a toss to combine.
- After taking the squash out of the oven and letting it cool a bit, toss it, the almonds and some shavings of parmesan into the bowl. Toss it all together to combine. Give it a taste and season with more salt and pepper, if desired.
- Pile the salad onto dinner plates or large shallow bowls. Enjoy!