This recipe is courtesy of my sister-in-law, who whips it out for holidays and family get-togethers.
- 1 pound dried acini di pepe pasta
- 30 oz mandarin oranges drained
- 40 oz cans crushed pineapple drained with juice reserved
- 20 oz cans pineapple tidbits drained with juice reserved
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 1-3/4 cup pineapple juice
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 8 oz whipped topping
- 5 oz mini marshmallows
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- In a sauce pan, whisk together the sugar, salt, pineapple juice and eggs. Bring up to medium heat, whisking periodically, until the mixture has thickened. Remove from heat, whisk in lemon juice and set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Add the dry pasta to boiling water and cook until al dente, about 8-10 minutes. Drain and set aside to cool down. Rinse the pasta with cool water, unless you’re of the no-rinse school of pasta thought. I didn’t rinse and mine was fine.
- In a large bowl (this recipe makes a LOT so you might need to break out the big salad bowl) combine the pasta, egg & juice mixture, fruit and whipped topping. Mix well and put in the fridge overnight or until chilled.
- Before serving, mix in the marshmallows and coconut.