Chicken Holy Basil
This is a Thai-inspired dish that I look forward to making when fresh basil is abundant. Traditionally, it has a bit of sugar in it and is served over jasmine rice. I eliminate the sugar and serve it with cauli-rice to bring the carbs down.
- 10 cloves fresh garlic
- 6 each fresh Thai chiles
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 pounds chicken breast boneless & skinless
- 2 tbsp fish sauce (nam pla)
- 2 tsp coconut aminos or soy sauce
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 3 cups fresh holy (or Thai) basil
- Mash garlic and chiles using a mortar and pestle or the flat
side of a large knife. Heat oil in a wok or skillet over medium-high heat. Add
garlic mixture. Cook, stirring constantly, until garlic is just golden, about
- Add chicken. Cook, stirring often, until chicken is cooked
through. Stir in fish sauce, coconut aminos, and black pepper. Add basil. Cook,
stirring constantly, for about 1 minute. Season with more pepper, if desired.
Serve over rice and garnish with basil.