The Avalanche comes running for these treats!
- 1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup wheat germ
- 1/2 cup bacon fat
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cup cold water
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and mix until dough forms. Aim for the consistency of play-dough. If it is too loose or sticky, add a little flour. If too dry or stiff, add in some extra water.
- Roll the dough out onto a floured surface to a thickness of about ⅓″. I use a bone-shaped cookie cutter most often but have also used a pizza wheel to quickly cut 1″ x 4″ bar from the dough. (Less fuss though the bone shapes are cute!) Poke some divots along the length of the treat. I use a throwaway chopstick. Line the treats up on a baking tray lined with parchment. You don’t need to leave much space between the treats, as they really don’t expand much.
- Bake in the preheated over for approximately 20 minutes or lightly browned. Turn the oven off. Flip the treats over on the tray and put it back in the oven until the oven is cool. This will help crisp them up a bit.
- Treats can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature.