This is a recipe that comes from my Aunt Kathy. Calico Beans. They’re really delicious… rich and lush with a bit of smoke from the bacon. They’d make an excellent side dish to bring to a summer cookout or heaped in a bowl on their own on a chilly night.
- 1/2 lb bacon
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 15 oz can lima beans drained
- 15 oz can butter beans drained
- 15 oz can light red kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 28 oz can pork and beans liquid included
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1 tsp baking soda
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cook the bacon until crisp and drain on paper towels. Drain the bacon grease from pan and wipe with a paper towel to remove any particles.
- Brown the ground beef in the pan, breaking it up as it cooks. Add the onions, and continue browning and breaking up the meat. Cut the bacon into small pieces and stir into the meat/onions. Mix and brown all together until any liquid evaporates.
- Gently mix meat/onion/bacon mixture with all of the beans, being careful not to mash the beans.
- Mix the ketchup, molasses, brown sugar, dry mustard and baking soda in a separate bowl, and add to the beans & meat mixture, stirring lightly.
- Place in a sprayed casserole dish and bake for 1½ hours. Cover the casserole for the first hour and remove the cover for the last ½ hour.
- CROCK POT: Follow steps 2-5 and place the mixture in a crock pot on high for 4 hours, uncovering for the last hour of cooking.