I came across this recipe on the Smitten Kitchen blog and saw that it was adapted from this Food & Wine recipe. I saw that it could be adapted to being keto-friendly quite easily and gave it a go. Delicious! I’ll be making this one again. (My picture isn’t as pretty as Food & Wine’s… but don’t let that stop you!)
I ran the recipe through Cronometer and came up with the following per serving: 510 calories, 37.2 grams fat, 37.7 grams of protein, and 3.7 grams of carbs.
- 2 lb ground pork
- 1 ea eggs large
- 1 cup pork rinds finely ground
- 3 tbsp fresh ginger peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cloves fresh garlic
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 can unsweetened coconut milk (around 14 oz)
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 cup fresh ginger peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 cloves fresh garlic thinly sliced
- 1 ea fresh red thai chiles slit but kept intact, plus thinly sliced chiles for serving
- 1 stalk fresh lemongrass outer leaves removed and stalk cut into 1-inch lengths
- finely grated zest and juice of 1/2 lime
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp turmeric ground
- Kosher salt
- fresh mint leaves thinly sliced
- fresh cilantro leaves thinly sliced
- lime wedges
- cauliflower rice
- Preheat the oven to 425°. Combine all of the ingredients in a large bowl. Form the mixture into forty 1 1/2-inch meatballs and arrange them on a large rimmed baking sheet about 1 inch apart. Bake until the meatballs are golden brown and just cooked through, about 15 minutes.
- In a large saucepan, combine the coconut milk, stock, ginger, garlic, slit chiles, lemongrass, lime zest and juice, fish sauce and turmeric. Season with salt. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat so the broth is simmering. Discard the lemongrass.
- Add the meatballs to the broth and simmer until cooked through and tender, about 15 minutes. Season the broth with more salt and lime juice if necessary. Serve with sliced herbs and chiles, lime wedges and rice.