I returned from a trip to northern Minnesota with a huge bag of native wild rice and thoughts of chicken & wild rice soup. This recipe really hit the spot.
- 4 tbsp butter
- 3 ribs celery cut into 1/2" pieces
- 2 carrots cut into 1/2" pieces
- 1 onion roughly chopped
- 1 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp dried porcini mushroom powder optional
- 1-1/2 tsp fresh thyme finely chopped
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup wild rice
- 2 quarts chicken stock
- 2 cups water
- 4 cups roasted chicken cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 cup heavy cream
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter. Add the celery, carrots, onion, garlic, thyme, and porcini mushroom powder. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until the vegetables soften, around 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle the flour over the vegetable mixture and cook, stirring often for around 3-5 minutes. The mixture should be evenly coated and start to brown a bit.
- Add the wild rice to the vegetables. Gradually stir in the chicken stock and the water, mixing until everything is incorporated.
- Simmer over low to medium heat until the vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes. Add the chicken pieces and simmer, stirring frequently, until the wild rice is tender, about 15 minutes. Stir in the cream and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve and enjoy!